Sunday, May 22, 2011

Adventure Sunday! Spring/summer Triplog 1

Set out on the trail head at Willow Creek lake. Came to the offshoot that takes you up the granite mounds. Well, the largest set of mounds anyway. They dot the whole landscape.



 The trail technically ends at the peak. Not visible yet in the above photo.  My father, myself and the dogs set out to hike the steeper side down, the trail-less side. Got to where we could hear my mother, she stayed on the ground and went around the big granite face. Could not see her yet. Got to a point where I could get down, but the dogs couldn't follow. My dad looked for a way down that the dogs could take, which I think he just went back the way we came. Boulder jumping my way down I finally could see my mom. A few big leaps I was down to where she was, standing in a wash. Here is the view before the descent.



(Do not attempt hiking the granite faces with anything but good quality hiking boots, without them, YOU WILL FALL)

A bit later my dad found us. We headed down the wash, to what felt like it would take us to the next stretch of the real trail.

It didn't. I shot ahead and the wash narrowed and it was overgrown with manzanita and other plantlife. Turned back to meet my parents and let them know we had to backtrack the way my father had came from.

Thats when we all smelled skunk. I did not bring my .380 for this hike. My dad had his. Thankfully, we only smelled skunk, never saw it.

Did see this though...not familiar with snakes of the area yet, we gave it space.



Well we met back up with the trail, at the same point we started at, where the first photo was taken. Continued around the regular trail. My mom fell a few times, so they opted to take the most direct path back to the car while I shot ahead on an offshoot trail. Which took me to this view.

That is Granite mountain off in the distance. Heading back to the parking lot to the trailhead, I grabbed my biggest fishing pole, armed with a large spinnerbait and took my first tries at casting the big sucker since I last fished in Minnesota. So far since fishing here I only used small poles with small spinners.

I had several good bites, but did not land anything. Only backlashed it once! Not bad for so little use of it in so long.


I love living here in Prescott Valley Arizona. All this, just about a 10 mile drive from my house.

I am pretty sure the dogs love it here too.


Lizard count: Lost Track
Notable Lizards: Blue bellied, and one that had no tail
Mental Soundtrack: Anthrax "Hy pro Glow"
Fuel: Gatorade Prime (it works, honestly), beef jerky, of course water to keep going
2nd Snake sighting, confirmed non-venomous Sonoran Mountain Kingsnake
Difficulty rating: 3, maybe a 4 considering the off trail path we took

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive